Centennial History File, 1990-91
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Centennial History File compiled for the 1990 centennial of the Physics Department contains photocopies of correspondence, publications, photographs and reports relating to the department heads, faculty members, and other employees; buildings occupied by the department; research grants and projects; the Betatron and Cyclotron; other departments in the College of Engineering; student awards and achievements; milestones in the department over the past 100 years; Nobel Prize and other award winners; John Bardeen; exhibits displayed in Loomis Laboratory and excerpts from annual reports (1906-76).
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 11/10/90
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Physics
Volume: 1.0 cubic feet
Acquired: 6/21/91
Arrangement: By subject of search topic
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Physics :

Courses in chemical physics and higher physics were listed in the 1868-69 catalogue.1 In 1870-71, the Board of Trustees listed Stillman W. Robinson as professor of Physics, and, in 1871-72, they listed Physics and Astronomy as a "department of study."2 Course catalogs for 1876-77 through 1890-91 refer to a "course in physics" as part of the curriculum of the four schools in the College of Engineering.3 In 1886, the Physics course was divided, offering a general course, and one for engineering.4 Until 1889-90, when Samuel W. Stratton assumed teaching responsibilities in Physics, the courses were usually taught by the heads of the departments of Mechanical and Mining Engineering.5 Upon Stratton's formal appointment as Assistant Professor of Physics, the scope of instruction in Physics was expanded and Physics emerged as separate department in 1890-91.6

Graduate work in Physics leading to the Master's and Ph.D. were offered through the Graduate College after its establishment in 1907. The first Ph.Ds. in Physics were awarded in 1910, and an undergraduate program leading to the Bachelor's of Science in Engineering was approved in 1917 and the first B.S. was awarded in 1923.7 The aims of the department are to offer "a curriculum in engineering physics to give . . . training in fundamental physics and mathematics." The department has "extensive facilities for instruction and investigation in physics."8 Physics is available as a field of concentration and as a major leading to the Bachelor's of Science degree within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.9

1. Catalogues and Circulars, 1868-69, pp. 26-27.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 4th Report, 1870-71, p. 45; 5th Report, p. 56.

3. Catalogues & Circulars, 1876-77 to 1890-91.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 13th Report, 1884-86, p. 159.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 15th Report, 1888-90, December 10, 1889, p. 114.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 15th Report, 1888-90, June 10, 1890, pp. 148-49, 160.

7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 24th Report, 1906-08, June 10, 1907, p. 133. Board of Trustees Transactions, 1916-18, June 25, 1917, pp. 392-93.

8. Undergraduate Study Catalog, 1969-70, p. 266.

9. Undergraduate Programs, 1987-90, p. 274, 287-88.

Subject Index
Betatron
Cyclotrons
Physics Building
Physics Department
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]