Director's Letterbooks, 1896-1907
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description:

Letterpress copybooks containing copies of correspondence and reports of Katherine L. Sharp (1865-1914), director of the Library School and head of the University Library (1897-1907), with Presidents Andrew S. Draper and Edmund J. James, deans, department heads, faculty, publishers and book dealers, students, prospective students, alumni and administrators at other libraries and library schools, relating to library school reports to the president, library school and library administration, faculty committees and meetings, departmental budgets, staff requests, recruitment and salaries of faculty and staff, letters of recommendation, equipment, printing and binding, selection and acquisition of books and periodicals, interlibrary loans, courses and curriculum, visiting lectures, library visitation and related topics.�  Most letters related to the administration of the University Library, but the more significant documents relate to the development of the Library School.

Correspondents include Thomas J. Burrill, Charles B. Davenport, Andrew S. Draper, Melvil Dewey, Frank W. Gunsaulus, David Kinley and the Library of Congress.

Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 18/1/1
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Volume: 1.6 cubic feet
Acquired: 6/1964
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1801001.pdf
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Graduate School of Library and Information Science :

The Library School of the University of Illinois was founded in September 1893 as the School of Library Economy, and was housed at the Armour Institute in Chicago. In September 1897 the School was moved to the University of Illinois.1 In December 1902, degrees of Bachelor of Arts in Library Science and Bachelor of Library Science were approved.2 The bachelor's degree program was discontinued in 1951.3 In 1950 the Library School was placed under the Dean of the Division of Communications4 but regained its independent status in 1954.5 As of September 1, 1971, the School, which was responsible to the Dean of Library Administration, began reporting directly to the Chancellor.6 In 1962 the Advisory Council of Librarians was created, composed of leading librarians in the state, representing each of the major types of libraries.7 The name of the School was changed in 1959 to the Graduate School of Library Science.8 In 1981, the name was changed again to the Graduate School of Library and Information Science.9 School goals are to prepare librarians and information scientists for professional work through essential basic studies and specialization by course choices and independent studies; to promote and conduct pure and applied research; and to provide public service such as continuing education, publications, and consulting.10

1. Catalogue of the University of Illinois, 1897-98, p. 131.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 22nd Report, December 9, 1902, p. 30.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 46th Report, October 23, 1951, p. 1255.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, February 16, 1950, p. 988.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, April 21, 1954, p. 1323.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 56th Report, April 21, 1971, p. 267.

7. Board of Trustees Transactions, 52nd Report, July 18, 1962, p. 4.

8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, June 23, 1959, p. 439.

9. Board of Trustees Transactions, 61st Report, February 19, 1981, p. 175.

10. Graduate School of Library and Information Science, Announcements 1981, p. 15.

Subject Index
Armour Institute
Hospitals - Libraries
Phi Beta Kappa
Sharp, Katherine L.
Traveling Library
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]