Friends of the Observatory Newsletters, 2017-
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Friends of the Observatory Newsletters contains copies of the newsletters concerning events, contributions, and history of the observatory.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 15/3/818
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Astronomy
Volume: 2.82 megabytes
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Astronomy :

Instruction in astronomy commenced in 1892 as an offering of the Mathematics Department.1 In August 1921, the Board of Trustees authorized that the Division of Astronomy in the Department of Mathematics be organized as a separate Department of Astronomy.2 In 1957, the Department began a program of cooperative investigation with the United States Office of Naval Research3 and, in 1962, the radio telescope site at Vermilion River Observatory was completed.4 The courses offered range from descriptive astronomy to aeronomy,5 with B.S.,6 M.S. and Ph.D. degrees offered.7

1. Catalogs and Registers, 1892-93, p. 57.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 34th Report, August 1, 1921, p. 17.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 49th Report, April 15, 1957, p. 372.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 52nd Report, November 9, 1962, p. 261.

5. Undergraduate Course Catalog, 1972/74, pp. 61-62.

6. Undergraduate Study Catalog, 1971/72, p. 365.

7. Graduate College Catalog, 1971/72, p. 99.

Subject Index
Astronomical Society
Observatory
Languages of Materials
English [eng]