Extension Audiovisual Materials, 1956, ca. 1970s
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Extension Audiovisual Materials include film and audiotape recordings concerning the Knox County 4-H Show (1956) featuring cattle and sheep showing events; advertisements for the "Mealtime USA: Food from the Field to the Table" extension program at Carl Sandberg Junior College in Galesburg, IL (ca. 1970s) featuring talks including crepe making, pre-natal nutrition, pest prevention, and meat smoker construction. Series includes one 1/4" audiotape, two 16mm films, and DVD copies of each film.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 31/1/16
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Office of Continuing Education and Public Service
Volume: 0.3 cubic feet
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Office of Continuing Education and Public Service :

Organized in 1933, the Division of University Extension was responsible for the extension of the University's education resources to qualified persons who were not students in residence.1 It conducted extramural courses,2 short courses3, correspondence courses, conferences and other programs.4 The Division did not include the Extension Service in Agriculture and Home Economics. It drew from faculties of all University instructional units, but maintained its own administrative staff.5 On July 18, 1973, the division was renamed the Office of Continuing Education and Public Service and a University Continuing Education Office was established.6<span style="vertical-align: super;"> </span>

The major functions of the office are to conduct campus extension programs, work with continuing education and public service field staff, work with major academic units on campus to develop continuing education and public service activities that link societal needs and university purposes and resources, assist academic units to strengthen their commitment and effectiveness.

The Office included Conferences and Institutes, Engineering, Extramural Classes, International Affairs, Music and Visual Arts.7 Since the Office was established, it has continued its original extramural course and correspondence course functions, and added a program development staff in 1974 and an Administrator for Client services in 1976. Since its organization it has had more involvement in the Champaign-Urbana area, one of the objectives of the reorganization of the Extension. It serves both in an administrative role, coordinating departments extension services, while also serving a logistics role. As of 1979, the emphasis of the Office has shifted to professional education for the person already in the field. While correspondence courses are still offered they are no longer as necessary due to the community colleges opened in the 1960's and 1970's.8

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 37th Report, September 26, 1933, p. 374-75

2. Ibid., 39th Report, May 27, 1936, p. 754.

3. History, the University of Illinois Division of University Extension, 1933-68, A Progress Report, Helen Farlow, p. 9

4. Ibid., p. 5.

5. Ibid., p. 5.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 57th Report, July 18, 1973, p. 326.

7. University of Illinois Office of Continuing Education and Public Service Guided Individual Study 1978-79, pp. 15-18.

8. Interview with Dennis Dahl, January 31, 1979.

Subject Index
Agriculture
Extension, Division of University
Food Production
Foods and Nutrition
Four-H (4-H)
Languages of Materials
English [eng]