Hall Macklin Orchestra and Glenn Lee Orchestra Music and Records, 1930-1970
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Consists of newspaper clippings, photographs, programs and sound recordings documenting the Hall Macklin Orchestra and Glenn Lee Orchestra's performances and tours during the 1930s, as well as a reunion of the two orchestras in 1970.
Held at:
The Sousa Archives and Center for American Music
236 Harding Band Building
1103 South 6th Street
Champaign, IL 61820 6223
Phone: 217-244-93093
Fax: 217-244-8695
Email: schwrtzs [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 26/20/149
Created by: Macklin, Hall (Hall Mcintyre) (1908-1991)
Volume: 0.5 cubic feet
Acquired: 03/11/2010.
Arrangement: Arranged by type of material.
Biographical Note for Macklin, Hall (Hall Mcintyre) (1908-1991) : Hall Macklin (b. March 6, 1908. d. November 7, 1991) grew up in Whiteside, Illinois. Upon entering the University of Illinois he organized a group of musicians originally known as the Illini Singing Band, later known as the Hall Macklin Orchestra, that performed for dances both locally and regionally. Macklin graduated from the University of Illinois in 1932 and continued to perform with the orchestra, renamed the Glenn Lee Orchestra, under the direction of Chicago-based signer Glenn Lee, through 1935. In 1938 he earned a Master's of Music from the University of Idaho and later became a professor of Music at the University of Idaho until 1975, when he retired. In 1970 Hall Macklin participated in a reunion of the Hall Macklin and Glenn Lee Orchestras held in Elkhart, Indiana.
Access Restrictions: No restrictions
Subject Index
Alumni
Bands
Photographs
Genres/Forms of Material
Newspaper Clippings
Sound Recordings
Languages of Materials
English [eng]
Acquisition Notes: Allen F. Armstrong  Donation