ILLIAC Bulletins, Guides and Manuals, 1951-73
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Bulletins, Guides and Manuals including copies of Digital Computer Laboratory Bulletins 1-10 (March-November 1963), ORDVAC Manual (1951), Generalized Algebraic Translator-Compiler Manual (1961), Preliminary Guide to the Use of ATHOS (1961), Users' Manual for ALCOR-ILLINOIS-7090 ALGOL-60 Translator (1964), 1401 HAVOC System Manual (1965) and index to PORTHOS Manual (1965). ILLIAC publications include Illiac Programming Guides (1954, 1956, 1961), Elementary Description of ILLIAC (1964), Ibal ILLIAC III Basic Assembler Language (1968), ILLIAC III Programming Manual (1968), S-M-V Programming Manual (1968), and ILLIAC IV, Documents 193-198 and Final Technical Reports (1973). The series includes ILLIAC Program Library Index Codes 18-331 - with lacunae (1952-61), ILLIAC Active Program Library, Auxiliary Program Library, and Statistical Library (1957-61) and papers on ILLIAC II equipment (1958-59) and problems (1960), IBM 650 Program library (ca. 1961), and Statistical Analysis Library Tape (SALT) user manual.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 11/15/804
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Computer Science
Volume: 8.3 cubic feet
Acquired: 9/63, 6/68, 7/89; 6/22/2000; 7/30/2010; 5/13/2011
More information is available at https://files.archon.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1115804.pdf
Arrangement: By type of material (computer) and chronological thereunder.
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Computer Science :

On January 8, 1948, the Board of Trustees authorized the purchase of an EDVAC electronic digital computer for research program use.1 On November 19, 1948, the Board approved space for the computer project.2 On January 13, 1949, the Board reallocated funds to university staff for construction of the computer.3 By July 16, 1952, the Digital Computer Laboratory was listed in the university budget.4 In 1954, the laboratory offered "instruction in courses and supervision of theses for individuals specializing in the design and use of the digital computing machinery."5 In 1964, the name was changed from the Digital Computer Laboratory to the Department of Computer Science.6 The department teaches courses in circuit design, computer applications, computer organization, digital computer arithmetic, information retrieval, languages, numerical analysis, patters recognition, software systems, and switching an automata theory.7

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, January 8, 1948, p. 954.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, November 19, 1948, p. 172.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, January 13, 1949, p. 204.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, July 16, 1952, p. 145.

5. Graduate College Catalog, 1954-56, p. 29.

6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 53rd Report, November 24, 1964, p. 240.

7. Graduate Programs, 1972-1974, p. 59.

Subject Index
Computers
Digital Computer Laboratory
Illiac Computers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]
Acquisition Notes: 7/30/2010 5/13/2011 Illiac Program Library books 1-5 acquired from Wayne and Bonnie Lichtenberger.